VSS Agent and Server 2016

• Is the ZertoVSSAgent supported when using Windows server 2016?

The documentation only mentions 2008 and 2012 has this not been updated or is 2016 not supported?

Hi Graham,

I don’t believe 2016 guests are supported just yet, but I’ll check it out and get back to you in case is has recently been updated and I missed it.

Thanks,

Harry

Follow me: www.twitter.com/HarrySiii

Hi Graham,

I was able to receive confirmation that we do not currently support the VSS agent for Windows Server 2016.

I’ll try to update here once support becomes available. Do you have any usage information for this use case? How many 2016 VMs would you want to use VSS with (vs how many without)? Are these single-application VMs, meaning they don’t need point-in-time consistent checkpoints across multiple VMs for consistent recovery? How many VSS checkpoints do you try to create per VM, per day? Any additional information is very helpful to assist us with our road map priorities and inclusions.

Thanks!

Harry

You really don’t support Server 2016 yet?!  This is an enterprise solution, correct?

Hey Marc,

I want to clear up the confusion from the above posts. ZVR doesn’t currently support the VSS agent for Windows Server 2016 guests yet. Guest virtual machines supported by the hypervisor platforms are supported for use with ZVR, which includes Windows Server 2016. Windows Server 2016 is also supported as an installation platform for Zerto Virtual Manager (ZVM).

Hope this helps clear up any confusion or doubt!

Thanks,

Harry

@HarrySiii

Tagged: 

OK.  I was just reviewing the documentation and it doesn’t show support for Server 2016 or SCVMM 2016 in the support matrix.

Hi Harry

Thanks for getting back to me. honestly I am not all that clued up on VSS or what it is used for with Zerto and SQL.
    The customer is running all 2016 Servers and the VSS concern is specifically regarding the SQL servers.
    I don’t believe VSS is necessary for replicating SQL servers as I have done it before but I need to be clear when I reply to them on what functionality they loose by VSS not currently being supported for 2016

For some reason I cannot see my previous reply.

To my understanding, a database application will respond to its VSS writer being triggered by flushing all of its memory and I/O operations so that the database is completely consistent. In doing so, there is nothing in memory and no pending I/O to be lost The ZertoVSS agent is away for the zerto app to trigger the MS VSS writer.

Is it a manual process to trigger a VSS write or is that done as part of a normal checkpoint?

Customer is using all server 2016 servers and specifically is concerned over the SQL servers without having VSS

Hi Graham,

The ZertoVSS agent trigger is manual and not part of a normal checkpoint. You are correct in your explanation as to why people historically have wanted the VSS agent. You are also correct in your findings that most everyone has no need to use the VSS agent due to limitations (versus everything gained using Zerto’s native checkpoint mechanism) in number of checkpoints, multi-VM checkpoint consistency, etc. There are very few times when (a) the DB isn’t coming up correctly from the latest checkpoint, and (b) the next previous checkpoint doesn’t solve the issues.

Hope this helps!

~Harry

Marc S,

That is correct that SCVMM 2016 isn’t yet supported but is coming very soon!

Thanks,

~Harry

Hi Harry,

You say: Windows Server 2016 is also supported as an installation platform for Zerto Virtual Manager (ZVM).

I was told by Support this is not so. Can you confirm ?

I wanted to create a Windows 2016 clone and this failed because the ZVM has to be 2016.

Thanks Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes, ZVR 5.0u2, Windows Server 2016 is a supported installation platform for ZVM. I haven’t verified previous versions of ZVR, but if not, that may be why support gave you this info (are you on a previous version?). If I get confirmation of previous versions, I will be sure to let you know here.

Thanks!

~Harry

Hi Harry,

I use Version 5.0 Update 2 Patch 1 Build 050211002   It is the HyperV Version and it is running without any other Problems.

I try again over the Weekend and call the Support if it does not work.

regards Peter

Harry,

Do you know when SCVMM 2016 will be supported.

I’m currently planning a Zerto deployment. If SCVMM 2016 is supported (or will be in the next week or so), then I’ll use that & Hyper-v 2016

If not, then I’m stuck with SCVMM 2012 & Hyper-v 2012.

Thanks.

Shane.

Hi Harry,

I am also interested in the GA date of SCVMM2016.

Thanks Peter

You must be logged in to create new topics. Click here to login