SAP Data Replication, Offsite Backup, & DR
SAP is a mission critical enterprise multi-tier application that is utilized by 291,000 organizations in 190 countries. In the event of a disaster or logical failure that impacts the availability of SAP it can result in a significant impact to business operations, data loss, reduced employee productivity, share price devaluation and negatively impact the company brand.
Challenges of Protecting SAP
The protection of SAP is therefore of critical importance and it is made ever more challenging by large amounts of data change being written, 24/7 business operations, multi-tiers of Virtual Machines (VMs) utilizing different operating systems and database technologies to form the complete SAP application.
Many businesses try to use a combination of technologies to protect SAP such as storage based replication, log shipping or database mirroring software. Each of these different technologies introduces the following risks to the recovery of SAP:
- Multiple solutions require separate skill sets relying on the knowledge of individuals to recover SAP introducing complexity and risk
- Log shipping and database mirroring software require DBAs to manage and maintain protection in addition being present to manage a disaster recovery plan introducing risk
- There is no visibility or integration to the virtualized environment running SAP increasing operational complexity
- Manual recovery operations result in Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs) reliant on the responsiveness and knowledge of individuals
- Testing recovery is complex, time consuming and often requires production downtime making testing ad-hoc and infrequent
- Constant maintenance can be required to maintain protection introducing risk of time windows of no protection and increases the cost of management overheads
The challenges identified can lead to complications in recovery, lack of visibility into the protection status of the entire SAP application stack and can make disaster recovery testing a manual ad-hoc and infrequent process. Together this places the business operations at serious risk from not being able to recover successfully in a timely manner from a disruption.
Benefits of protecting SAP using Zerto Virtual Replication
Zerto Virtual Replication resolves all the challenges of protecting SAP running in virtualized environments by enabling:
- Simple centralized management of BC/DR from within the hypervisor across all protected VMs using a consistent control interface and one skillset requiring no specialist SAP knowledge
- No production changes needed to configure SAP protection
- Linux, Windows, Microsoft SQL, Oracle Database, DB2 and ASE VM-level protection using the same BC/DR solution reducing complexity and supporting many SAP designs
- Recover the entire SAP stack together, to the same point in time using Virtual Protection Groups (VPGs)
- Application consistent point in time recovery using split-second hot backup mode quiescing
- Recovery Point Objectives (RPOs) of seconds with no performance impact and no DBA knowledge required
- Journal-based protection maintain write-order fidelity of all database writes to all disks
- VM-level integration, KPIs, reporting and protection status alerts
- Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs) of minutes, to previous points in time down to increments every few seconds up to 14 days in the past
- No-impact disaster recovery testing of SAP to fully validate the recovery process in working hours in minutes
- Support for Raw Device Mappings (RDMs)
- Temporary Database initial replication, without subsequent change, saving 50% of replication traffic
Finally, ZVR’s Offsite Backup uses information replicated for DR purposes and leverages it for backup. It moves backup operations away from the production environment, dramatically reducing the strain on production workloads. ZVR supports any storage, multiple hypervisors, and any cloud infrastructure to maximize IT revenue.
Some of the largest businesses in the world rely on Zerto to protect their SAP installations as it simplifies BC/DR while providing the enterprise-class DR, Offsite Backup, and SLAs required for protecting business critical systems.